Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My girl, Lekeleni Banda Sanderson

I first traveled to Malawi in June 2009. It was then that this new place and these new people captured my heart. However, it did not take very long for this one spunky little girl to get my attention. Small for her age and with enough sass to make up for what she lacked in size, I quickly became intrigued by her. New to Mtendere Village and unaware of the sponsorship program run by 100x Development, I began to ask questions about this pint-sized 10 year old. Dana informed me that her name was Lekeleni Banda and she was 10 and incredibly smart and athletic (clearly, I IMMEDIATELY knew we had a lot in common). Dana also informed me that Lekeleni had a story that would break anyone's heart.

Orphaned by the death of her parents, and left to care for her elderly and blind grandmother at an early age, Lekeleni was "rescued" by a "businessman" who found her begging in the streets. After suffering emotional, physical, and sexual abuse; Lekeleni was finally brought to Mtendere Village where she would be fed, clothed, cared for and enrolled in school. She quickly adjusted to her new and happy life at Mtendere!! Her best friends are Masiye, Salome, Maria, and Nkhomalinga. She LOVES to dance, play netball (modified basketball), color, play cards (Go Fish!, and OLD MAID are her favorites), eat, and steal any and every sweatshirt or hoodie that I wear! (which I secretly love seeing her wear my huge AU sweatshirt). She is in the top 15 of her class (150 students)! She is precious and spunky, adventurous, beautiful smile, and great at giving hugs!

Of course, I began to sponsor her that summer and she is a true joy in my life! I look forward to seeing her every time I travel to Malawi! I have gotten to teach her games, tutor her in school, cook an American dinner w her, travel to the Safari and Lake Malawi with her! I have seen her excel in academics, athletics and in every aspect of life !! I am confident that by choosing to sponsor her, I in turn have been truly blessed by knowing her, loving her and watching her grow!!

If any of you guys are interested in sponsoring a child, email me or dblanchard@100xdevelopment.com

Or check out 100xdevelopment.com

$40 monthly!!

Thanks for reading my incessant blabbing about Lekeleni! I can ASSURE you this will not be the last post about her!!!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to meet her one day! Love this and YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Just thought you should know that some idiot has posted one of your photos on a horrible Facebook site https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10245537_687939297959914_7978478053343939257_n.jpg?oh=367f1b99b62735fbdda1e8d78be36155&oe=54BDEA1E&__gda__=1418552616_ff6df2f3d18a955924a139f3b0c849bc I have reported it. There are some unpleasant comments too. (I traced it back to you using image search).

    ReplyDelete